Search magnifier
Book an Open Day

Living Expenses

It is important that you ensure you have adequate funds to cover your period of study before applying for admission.

You should ensure that you have adequate funds to cover other expenses during your period of study.

We estimate that to cover the cost of other living expenses a single self-supporting student (with no children) should budget for between at least £1000 - £1200 each month for the full academic year 2016-2017 (39 weeks including vacation), in addition to tuition fees.

The following is a very generalised breakdown of how your living expenses might be allocated on a monthly basis. This figure is for guidance only; you may find that - depending on your lifestyle - you require more or less.

International student may incur higher insurance, travel and telephone costs. For reference, see the British Council budget planner and the International Student Calculator.

Rent on campus £430
Mobile phone £40
Food, laundry and household goods £230
Local travel £45
Insurance (personal) £5
Books, equipment, photocopying, stationery £40
Clothing £45
Socializing/Leisure £110
Miscellaneous (healthcare, etc) £55
Total £1000

Accommodation: This table is based on a single, en-suite self-catered room in a University managed flat or house with a shared kitchen (no more than 6 students) The fee of all utility bills, internet access and contents insurance. Catered rooms are also available.

Part-time work

Many international students are allowed to do some part-time work while they study in the UK. Most nationals of EEA member countries have no restrictions on working in the UK. However, certain EEA nationals are required to obtain a registration certificate before undertaking employment.

Students from outside the EEA who will be studying in the UK for more than 6 months will usually be given a student visa or entry clearance that allows them to work part time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and full time during vacations. Students on programmes lasting less than 6 months, who wish to undertake employment, should make sure that they apply for prior entry clearance as a Tier 4 general student. Please note that you should not rely on employment in the UK to cover your normal living expenses.