Search magnifier
Planning to study with us in 2018?

Frequently Asked Questions

What courses are taught on the Chichester campus?

Courses taught on the Bishop Otter Campus in Chichester are:

Adventure Education, Early Childhood Studies, Dance, English & Creative Writing, Fine Art, History, Media Production, Media Studies, Music, Performing Arts, Social Work, Sport Coaching Science, Sport and Exercise Science, Sports and Exercise Psychology, Sport & Fitness Management, Sports Development, Sports Therapy, Theology and Religion.

There is a regular bus service between campuses which takes about 20 minutes.

What courses are taught on the Bognor Regis Campus?

Courses taught on the Bognor Regis Campus are:

International English Studies, Business Studies, Information Technology, Teacher Training and Tourism Management, Accounting & Finance, Event Management, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Musical Theatre.

There is a regular bus service between campuses which takes about 20 minutes.

What is the structure of the University’s Undergraduate Degrees?

For full-time students degrees normally last three years. In each year of your study you will take 8 modules. Successful completion of each module is worth 15 credit points. In order to achieve a full degree you will thus need to study 24 modules, (i.e. you will accumulate 360 points).

Can I receive an award if I only study for one or two academic years?

Yes. If you are successful after one year, you can be awarded a Certificate of Higher Education.

After two successful years,you can be awarded a Diploma of Higher Education.

What are the different types of Degree?

All our degree programmes lead to Honours degrees, either BA, (Bachelor of Arts), or BSc, (Bachelor of Science). If you take one subject, this will appear on your degree certificate, and if you take two subjects both subjects will appear on your degree certificate; for example: BA in Music, BA in Music and International English Studies.

What’s the difference between Major/Minor and Joint degrees?

There are 3 basic types of degree subject combination, (note that not all combinations are available in all subjects).

•Single: You study only one subject

•Joint: You study 2 subjects equally 50% / 50%

•Major / Minor: You study one subject for 75% of the time and another subject for 25% of the timeHow many hours will I study?

You will be studying for a minimum of 18 hours per week. This will be divided between classroom time, lectures and self-study.

When do our courses begin?

  • Undergraduate/Postgraduate degrees - September each year
  • Pre-Sessional 22nd July - 5th September 2013

It is important that you arrive in the UK the week before the start of your course in order to finalise your accommodation and take part in the International Induction Programme. Details of this will be sent to you with your offer letter.

How do I apply to study at Chichester University?

  • For undergraduate degrees (BA / BSc / FdA / FdSc) please apply via the UK's national admissions service, UCAS,


  • you can apply directly to the University of Chichester, for all courses. Please go on the following link to find out more about applying directly: How to Apply

What is the closing date for applications?

There is no closing date for applications to Chichester, although it is advisable to send your application early to ensure that there are still places available, on your chosen course. Students, who are applying from countries where a Visa is needed to study in the UK, should apply to the University at least 4 months before the start date of the course where possible.

What do I need to send with my application form?

You must send copies of your academic certificates (translated into English), including IELTS, or an equivalent English language qualification, one academic reference, and a personal statement with your completed application form.

What IELTS score do I need to study at Chichester University?

  • Pre-Sessional English course, IELTS 5.0 minimum
  • Undergraduate Degree joint with International English Studies, IELTS 5.5.
  • Undergraduate Degree, IELTS 6.0.
  • Postgraduate Degree, IELTS 6.5.

If you need support with English language study, or to undertake our Pre-Sessional programme, then please do not hesitate in contacting the Admissions team on +44 (0)1243 816002


Email and they can discuss Pre-Sessional options that can lead to a University of Chichester degree.

Does Chichester offer any scholarships or bursaries?

We have scholarships of £1,500 for our postgraduate taught programmes. Please contact us, for more information.

Do I have to pay my fees in advance?

When you receive a conditional offer from the University, Non EU Students, must send £1,000 of tuition fees, in addition to satisfying any academic conditions. When the deposit payment is received and all conditions have been met, we will send you an unconditional offer letter. You can pay the deposit by cheque or bank transfer. Details will be enclosed with your offer letter.

Remember you will be required to pay the balance of fees when you arrive at Chichester to start your course.

How much does it cost to live in the Chichester area?

You are likely to need around £150 per week for living costs (including rent and food).

Am I guaranteed accommodation at Chichester?

Yes, all International students studying for a period of 1 year or more, will be guaranteed accommodation in the University Halls of Residence, provided a deposit of £200 is received before the 1st August.

For students receiving their place after this date or those studying for less than 1 academic year, the University Student Accommodation Co-ordinator, can help you find suitable accommodation locally. All accommodation is checked by the University in advance, to ensure that it is of a good standard for students. For more information go on the following link: Accommodation page

When can I book my accommodation?

You will be sent an accommodation booking form shortly after you have received an unconditional offer. You must return the completed form and the deposit to Chichester before the 1st August, in order to confirm your place in university accommodation.

What is it like living in halls of residence at Chichester?

Our safe accommodation blocks are situated on both campuses. You can choose an EN-SUITE ROOM, which has its own toilet and shower, or a STANDARD ROOM where you will share bathroom facilities with other students. Meals are included in the price of your accommodation and served in the university dining hall.

What are the alternatives to living in Halls of Residence?

  • Homestay, which is living with a British family locally
  • Or renting a flat or house, with other students

The Student Accommodation Co-ordinator will help you find the right type of accommodation to suit your needs.

Can I work whilst studying?

EU and EEA Nationals For All Other Nationalities

If you are studying in the UK for more than 6 months, you are normally given permission to work up to 20 hours per week (during the term, and full time during holiday periods) as part of your 'General Student' Visa.

If you are studying in the UK for less than 6 months you are not allowed to work if you enter the UK with a 'Student Visitor' Visa. However, if you apply for a 'General Student' Visa you can request permission to work when you apply for UK entry clearance.

Are there part time jobs at the University?

There are a number of part time jobs at the University, some are available within the Students’ Union at Chichester.

Other opportunities are available in Chichester and Bognor Regis towns. Students are advised to take employment where they can interact with native English speakers, to improve their language skills.

Will the University help me find work?

You can obtain advice from the Careers Service at the University, which has information on current part time vacancies.

What does Brexit mean for EU students?

The British Council and UUK have compiled a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document for EU students and their families.  If you have further questions you can contact the International Student Advisory Service who would be happy to help you.